Last time I’ve discussed about the importance of link baiting and why is it believed as an effective strategy to use — a technique that can give good SEO results and can get links to your website in an easy manner. Thus using them is always recommendable for higher traffic generation.
Below is our list of what we think the top 10 link baiting ideas and techniques to help you get started.
1. Humor – Some of the best link bait that we’ve seen has a humorous edge to it. Whether it be a funny photo, a cartoon, a story or even a title that gets a laugh – people seem to enjoy humor and like to pass it on.
2. Controversy – Controversial posts tend to get strong reactions from those reading your posts. Thus controversy brings in all kinds of responses. Write some post about “fishy” story, but that doesn’t mean you have to make up a story about just anything, you’ll have to research for it, start with political or celebrity issues! Don’t do it just for the sake of being controversial unless you can stomach it.
3. Exposé – I’m sure there are a few political bloggers out there that would identify their ‘big break’ as exposé blogging when they exposed one politician or another of doing or saying something that showed them for what they’re worth. By doing this you can create a real buzz around your blog and become part of the news itself. That’s if you’d like the whole idea though…
4. Quizzes – Quizzes, surveys and tests have long been popular with web users and if you’re smart about the way you make/design them they can be quite viral. Give people a button to place on their site for example.
5. Lists – I don’t know but there is (always) just something about a ‘list’ that people latch onto, tolerate and want to pass on to others (check out delicious and you’ll see lots of examples). List posts these days are a dime a dozen though so you’ll need to make your list helpful and stand out in any way.
6. Rants – There is something about a well-written, well-argued and passionate rant that is very link worthy. Expect that people will react both positively and negatively when you write a rant though!
7. Give Something Away – The clever giving of gifts can definitely create a buzz.
8. Create Community – Give them a place where they do have community or at least feel that they have it and they’ll quite often link to it from their blogs.
9. Contests – Organize something for people to participate in and you’ll find that some will. Add a competitive element to it and offer a worthwhile prize and you might just find the participation rate increases.
10. Tools – Give other website owners a useful, fun or cool tool that they can use on their blog that points back to your own.